The church was founded by the parish of the Sacred Heart, Westbury-on-Trym, in 1956 to serve the new estate of Henbury which was rapidly being built close to the village centre of Henbury and the Blaise Estate..
A temporary wooden church was erected in Keinton Walk, and a presbytery erected alongside in the 1960s
This church is still in use but received a stone built atrium at the west end in the 1970s.
The interior is practical, a simple light and airy building, thanks to the near continuous upper windows of the side walls. Simple Stations of the Cross below the windows. The benches are older than the building and obviously were in use elsewhere before coming here. Maybe too the little organ and the wooden font came from another church and the brass candle stand is the grandest item in the church. The stained glass roundel too may have been brought here from another church.
The Viscount “Canticus” organ in St. Antony’s Church was purchased new and installed on All Saints Day, 1st November, 2002. Purchased by the then Parish Priest Fr. Michael Walsh in consultation with a professional organist friend, Mr. Andrew Mitchell, who provided a substantial proportion of the cost, it replaced an inadequate and outdated machine of poor quality which was consigned to the church hall.
St. Antony's Catholic Church
Tel: 0117 9833906
Main service: Saturday evening Mass at 6.00pm