Blaise Castle House Museum and Estate features a 19th century mansion, set in 650 acre Grade II* registered parkland including children’s play area, museum and castle and is home to the social history collection.
The folly castle, as featured in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, is opened by volunteers on some summer Sundays. Just look out for the flag flying on top of the castle and enjoy panoramic views of the area from the castle roof.
Discover in the museum everyday objects from centuries past, including Victorian toilets and baths, kitchen and laundry equipment, model trains, dolls, toys and period costume in the museum. You can also explore the parkland and woodlands, as well as enjoying the cafe whilst the kids head off to the children's adventure playground.
The magnificent Picture Room at Blaise Castle House Museum and Estate is hung with paintings from the museum's collections and is licensed for civil ceremonies.
Blaise Castle House Museum is situated in the beautiful parkland of the Blaise Estate at Henbury. The museum is housed in a late 18th century mansion, and contains most of our social history collections.
Museum Opening hours
- 7 April to 30 June: Wednesday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays. 10.30am to 4pm
- 1 July to 2 September: Tuesday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays. 10.30am to 4pm
- 3 September to 31 October: Wednesday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays. 10.30am to 4pm
- 1 November to Easter: Weekends only - Open Saturday and Sunday 10.30am to 4pm
At Blaise Castle Estate, there is a good secure play ground, with slides, swings, a roundabout, large sand pit with slide and boat, baby swings and more. An adjacent adventure playground is more suitable for older children.
There's a cafe with toilet and baby changing facilities.
Venture on a woodland trail with great views over the gorge.
Blaise Opening hours:
7.30am daily throughout the year.
November, December, January 5.15pm
May, June, July, August 9.15pm
- Large children's play area with dedicated zones for younger and older children
- Toilets with baby changing facilities
- Benches and picnic areas. BBQs permitted - please raise BBQs off the ground to avoid damaging the grass